[swift-evolution] Swift null safety questions

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Mon Mar 13 18:35:10 CDT 2017

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Otherwise, if you really need to build a web server framework that can swallow any sort of application logic without choking, perhaps Swift as it currently stands isn't the best tool for the job.

Or you should use a prefork server. As long as the supervisor process—which should be pretty small and simple—doesn't crash, the worker processes can trip assertions all day and only the single request will be affected.

Processes are good. Processes are nice. Learn to love processes.

(I suspect that, if we ever do support recovering from assertions, the mechanism will be fairly process-like: Very little data sharing between the thread/section permitted to crash and the outside world, with post-crash cleanup being handled by simply releasing all the memory allocated by the thread/section.)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies