[swift-evolution] [Discussion] What is the future of tuples in Swift?

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri Mar 3 06:57:45 CST 2017

The question here is, how is a tuple different from a mathematical vector? I wasn’t referring to vector concepts from other languages, but used the keyword vector to indicate a shortcut that provides a fixed or an arbitrary length such as …T would do in variadic generics context.

A shortcut for (Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int, Int) is probably not that bad to have. In my sketch it would be (vector(16) Int), but it still would be a tuple. Structs aren’t arrays, but we created a value type that represents dynamic arrays (called vectors in different languages) and called it Array. Furthermore the dynamic array is not a simple primitive type and contains a whole bunch of other things.

That said, I don’t see why tuples should not benefit from all of that, if features like parametrized extensions make it into Swift one day.

extension<…T> (T…) : MutableCollection { … }

// or from my sketch
extension<vector generic T> (vector T) : MutableCollection { … }
Being able to tell the size of such a vector is more beneficial than only having the … pre- and postfix for arbitrary length.

Currently variadics return Array<T>, which is *kinda* fine, but is not fully correct, because the returned sequence cannot be empty.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail