[swift-evolution] [Re-Review] SE-0104: Protocol-oriented integers

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Sat Feb 18 22:59:19 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017, at 08:45 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution wrote:
> • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

Extremely strong +1.

Unlike others, I agree with the proposed deprecation of
BitwiseOperations. It's not pulling its own weight under this new model.
I encourage other reviewers to try, as the proposal suggests, to come up
with a compelling user of just BitwiseOperations.

> • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
> change to Swift?

Yes; it's not as easy to work with integers in Swift 3 as floating
point, which is annoying, since integers are important to binary
programming.

> • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

The graph of methods and protocols is well-considered, and while it's
probably not mathematically perfect, I could easily see the API being
used to teach binary arithmetic.

> • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I've tried (and failed) to use Swift's previous protocols for generic
programming.

> • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
> reading, or an in-depth study?

Thorough reading of previous revisions, glance through of this one.
Thanks for providing the updates section!

Sincerely,

  Zachary Waldowski

  zach at waldowski.me