[swift-evolution] final + lazy + fileprivate modifiers

Rob Mayoff mayoff at dqd.com
Fri Feb 17 17:49:19 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Here, a function call is an _intentional_ act. Writing a function not
> meant to be called is an _intentional_ act. It is strange that you would
> demand the compiler to stand between two of your own intentional acts.

Yesterday I stated one intention. Today I (or a coworker) act with a
contradictory intention.

One of these intentions, or some underlying assumption, must be in error.

Why would I want to rely on a human to notice the error, if I can make the
compiler do it?

It is normal to want the compiler to catch my errors. It is strange to
prefer finding errors manually.

You might persuade me that the cost (in language complexity) of having the
compiler detect the contradiction outweighs the benefit.

But I doubt you can persuade me that the detection has no benefit.