[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Support for pure functions. Part n + 1.

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri Feb 17 10:21:39 CST 2017

I haven’t yet read all the feedback in this topic but I’d like to throw some bikeshedding of mine into the room. :)

How about this?

Version 1: func(pure) …
Version 2: func label(…) ~> ReturnType

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 17. Februar 2017 um 17:16:49, Anton Zhilin via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) schrieb:

It is my opinion that you are describing an entirely different, and somewhat orthogonal, feature. I would like the feature that you describe. Constant expressions are powerful and open up quite a few optimizations. What constexpr addresses is not purity, at the heart of it. Pure expressions that accept compile-time-known values are, by happy accident, compile-time-computable, but pure expressions that accept dynamic values are not. Conflating the two qualities of being compile-time-known and being pure within the same keyword and overloading it in this way is not desirable to me.
I see now. I’d say that access to global state is not vital, and
@pure functions are more useful than
@const functions, so I’m OK with having only
@const functions.

To control growth of compilation time, we could have both
@pure function annotation and
@const variable annotation to ensure that a
@pure expression is computed at compilation time.

I’d also want to infer