[swift-evolution] final + lazy + fileprivate modifiers

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:35:31 CST 2017

_Potentially_ meaningful, certainly. But what I'm hearing is that it isn't
actually meaningful. Here's why:

If I see `fileprivate` and can understand that to mean "gee, the author
_designed_ this member to be visible elsewhere inside the file," then it's
actually meaningful. OTOH, if I see `fileprivate` and can only deduce "gee,
the author mashed some button in his or her IDE," then it's not really
telling me anything.

What you've said above, as I understand it, is that it's not currently
meaningful to see `fileprivate` because the migrator is writing it and not
the author. The improved approach you proposed is the additional warning.
In that case, the compiler will help to ensure that when I see
`fileprivate`, at least I know it's necessary. But that's only telling me a
fact (this member is accessed at least once outside the private scope), but
it's still machine-based bookkeeping, not authorial intent.