[swift-evolution] [swift-users] Plan to move swift-evolution and swift-users mailing lists to Discourse

Jan Neumüller nasan at slayers.de
Thu Feb 9 07:06:58 CST 2017

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 13:50, Adrian Zubarev <adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com> wrote:
>
> That last one is horrible to even look at (that’s my personal point of view). It’s packed full with unnecessary UI, which reminds me of the time when html-tables ruled all over the place. Discourse has a nice minimalistic look and I’m sure people that will setup the forum will tweak it to make it feel more appropriate for Swift, just like the design of the evolution-page was tweaked several times.

I don’t see unnecessary UI, I see NEEDED UI. Discourse is so minimalistic you don’t see any relevant information at all 8(

> Here is really good example of how a huge/popular topic like the current one or String in Swift 4 would look like with Discourse (I picked one from Rust with lots of replies): https://users.rust-lang.org/t/high-order-function-with-type-parameter/3112/ <https://users.rust-lang.org/t/high-order-function-with-type-parameter/3112/>
> +1 for Discourse, I think it really is the right choice.

What is good at this example? I don’t see anything good there but lots of problems:

- very hard to see who posted a reply
- very bad readability thanks to tiny font and low contrast colors
- totally broken threading (is one really supposed to click each time on replies to see them?)
- lots of wasted screen space (empty space and a very narrow text area)
- cryptic stuff like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a9fyuin4yyp5u8/Screenshot%202017-02-09%2014.03.20.png?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a9fyuin4yyp5u8/Screenshot%202017-02-09%2014.03.20.png?dl=0>
- endless scrolling…

This is considered GOOD today? Does any modern web trend think on older people and people with glasses anymore?

Jan