[swift-evolution] !? operator for ternary conditional unwrapping

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed Feb 8 09:23:27 CST 2017

I forgot about map :D That solution is more swifty than mine with String(format::).

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 8. Februar 2017 um 16:12:11, Tony Allevato via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) schrieb:

What you're asking for is already possible (avoiding the optional unwrap) by combining map() on Optional with ??:

```
let name1: String? = "name"
print(name1.map { "\"\($0)\"" } ?? "null")  // prints "\"name\""

let name2: String? = nil
print(name2.map { "\"\($0)\"" } ?? "null")  // prints "null"
```

So I guess the question is, does simplifying that rise to the level of wanting a custom operator? I personally don't think it does, but I could see an argument being made that an operator with defined semantics might be a small amount clearer than map + ??. But I think the benefits would have to be very strong, though.

And as other folks have mentioned, having "!" in the operator name is somewhat misleading, since when I see that I expect a trap to occur in nil cases.