[swift-evolution] !? operator for ternary conditional unwrapping

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 09:11:49 CST 2017

What you're asking for is already possible (avoiding the optional unwrap)
by combining map() on Optional with ??:

```
let name1: String? = "name"
print(name1.map { "\"\($0)\"" } ?? "null")  // prints "\"name\""

let name2: String? = nil
print(name2.map { "\"\($0)\"" } ?? "null")  // prints "null"
```

So I guess the question is, does simplifying that rise to the level of
wanting a custom operator? I personally don't think it does, but I could
see an argument being made that an operator with defined semantics might be
a small amount clearer than map + ??. But I think the benefits would have
to be very strong, though.

And as other folks have mentioned, having "!" in the operator name is
somewhat misleading, since when I see that I expect a trap to occur in nil
cases.