[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Daniel Duan daniel at duan.org
Mon Feb 6 17:24:06 CST 2017

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Chris Hanson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On Feb 2, 2017, at 2:24 PM, James Berry via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking for myself only, discourse seems to give me little of value, while it would plaster emails with html-laden buttons, etc, thus making my favored experience worse than it is today. I’m fairly happy with using a gmail account and server-side filters to file my swift-evolution mails into a mailbox that I can then read on or offline with the threaded email client of my choice.
>
> This is my feeling as well. I also looked at the so-called “native app” for Discourse and it looked like just a wrapper around the web site. It wasn’t nearly the level of experience that I get from a high quality mail client like Mail.app or GMail.
>
> I would be all for a forum-like web interface to the mailing list for people who find mailing lists somehow lacking or who have difficulty configuring filters. However, I would be opposed in the strongest possible terms to anything that makes the mailing list interface any sort of second-class citizen, which is definitely what it appears switching to something like Discourse would do.

With regard to threading:

I’d encourage those who want web forums to give Mail.app a try. It does a remarkable job of keeping emails threaded. (incidentally, I’ve tried a few 3rd party email clients, the usual suspects with both iOS and macOS support, and find them *worse* at handling mailing list style email chains). There’s even more flexibility in the reading experience with things like Mutt where everything is customizable.

Overall, I feel like the maturity of email tooling is not emphasized enough here.