[swift-evolution] Subclass Existentials

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Thu Feb 2 17:24:22 CST 2017

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 00:04, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>>> That’s a good point. My *technical* goal is for AnyObject to cease to be a protocol, because it’s really describing something more fundamental (“it’s a class!”). Whether we spell that constraint as “class” or “AnyObject” doesn’t affect that technical goal.
>>>
>>> I’d gravitated toward the “class” spelling because the idea of a class constraint seems most naturally described by “class”, and it’s precedented in C#.
>>>
>>> However, the changes in SE-0095 <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0095-any-as-existential.md> to make “Any” a more fundamental type (and not just a typealias) definitely open the door to doing the same thing with “AnyObject”—just make it a built-in notion in the language, and the spelling for a class constraint. It *certainly* works better with existentials.

>>> “value” would be a terrible keyword, as you know. Point taken :)
>>>
>>> If we did something like this, we would probably want it to be akin to ValueSemantics—not just “it’s a struct or enum”, but “it provides value semantics”, because not all structs/enums provide value semantics (but immutable classes do).

>>> From an implementation standpoint, the choice to make AnyObject a magic protocol was a *horrible* decision. We have hacks throughout everything—the compiler, optimizers, runtime, and so on—that specifically check for the magic AnyObject protocol. So, rather than make Any a magic protocol, we need to make AnyObject *not* magic.

>>> By “one day” I suspect you mean “some day” rather than “the day after” :)
>>>
>>> Yes, I feel like this is a natural direction for existentials to go.
>>
>> Looking ahead to when this is on the table, I'm a little worried about the syntactic implications of constrained existentials now that the Any<> syntax doesn't seem to be as popular. The obvious way to go would be
>>
>> 'X & Y where …'
>>
>> But that leads to ambiguity in function declarations
>>
>> func doTheThing<T>() -> X & Y where … where T == …
>>
>> This could be resolved by requiring constrained existentials to be typealiased to return them, but I don't think there's any other situations where we require a typealias to use something, and it just feels like a workaround.
>
> Types can be parenthesized, so that’s a workaround. But I too have some concerns here that we’re creating an ambiguity that users will trip over.

On top of the ambiguity, I’m really sad that we dropped the Any<A, B, C> syntax because we lost the parallel to inheritance clauses which use the comma as separating character. They both represent similar concepts: a type inheriting and conforming and an existential represent all types which inherit and conform.

I’ve got to ask, is there any chance that either of the two could happen:

1) Bring back the Any<A, B, C> syntax instead of A & B & C?
2) Replace the inheritance clause X : A, B, C to X : A & B & C?

I know that both are severely source-breaking changes, but either of those would simplify the language by using the same syntax for two very similar concepts. Plus, number 1 would allow us to disambiguate function declarations. I know many people would rejoice having Any<> back.

David.