[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Derrick Ho wh1pch81n at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 12:36:11 CST 2017

I don't like mailing lists since it is very easy to forget about a topic.
What I noticed about mailing lists is that the most controversial topics
live the longest. I think swift-evolution should be able discussing the
stuff that matters for the future of swift.

I think the best choice for that would be JIRA.

The whole swift evolution process can be better streamlined with this tool.
Each proposal goes through different states from development, to awaiting
review, to being approved or rejected.

We can make JIRA a part of the swift-evolution process. By incorporating
the process as part of the workflow. The Jira board allows everyone to see
what stage a proposal is in. You can see which have been rejected,
approved, or defered.

Each proposal can be written as part of a single JIRA story where the story
can be modified after getting feed back. With mailing lists, you need to
pile the most recent thing on the top and hope no one is replying to old
content. The formatting is quite standard and we won't run into weird
formatting issues. People can comment on the issue at hand and not get
lost. People can reference other JIRA tickets which get turned into
clickable links. People can reference other people. This helps when you are
trying to tell one specific person something and not everyone.

JIRA allows you to search for stories. In our case it will be proposals and
we will find an easier time seeing what stage it is in.

Speaking of stages, did everyone know that we are on Swift 4 stage 1? I
didn't I thought we were on swift 3 stage xyz. We can name each board after
the current swift version and stage. Often times a story is not appropriate
for stage 1 and should be discussed again in the next stage. the JIRA board
can be given the current Swift version and stage and anything that needs to
be pushed back can move to a "re-evaluate in next stage" status. Once the
new stage is set, we can simply move the story back in for discussion.

I may not be the best at describing the best parts of JIRA, but i believe
it may make the whole swift evolution process easier.

In summary we should use JIRA because
* Story can be updated.
* No loss in context
* Google searchable
* Story Statuses (i.e. discuss, review, approved, implemented.etc)
* Standard UI
* Stories can reference each other
* Easy sign up
* email support
* attachments

Anyone else +1 JIRA?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Daniel Duan via swift-evolution <