[swift-evolution] Strings in Swift 4

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 22 21:49:39 CST 2017

I read through the manifesto and most of the discussion here. I'd like to bring two points that I haven't seen discussed.

First, the fact that the Unicode standard says that strings ending with an isolated combining character is "degenerate" or "defective" doesn't necessarily mean that ignoring that case is the right thing to do. In fact, it means that Unicode won't do anything to protect programs against these, and if Swift doesn't, chances are that no one will. Isolated combining characters break a number of expectations that developers could reasonably have:

(a + b).count == a.count + b.count
(a + b).startsWith(a)
(a + b).endsWith(b)
(a + b).find(a) // or .find(b)

Of course, this can be documented, but people want easy, and documentation is hard.

One not particularly contrived example of a vulnerability that this could cause would be a website that encodes session information in a cookie with comma-separated values (encrypted and authenticated and all, like RoR does), inside of which the user has indirect control over at least one textual field (like an username). If the serializing code looks like `"\(id),\(email),\(username)`, and an attacker's username starts with a combining character, they could cause the delimiting comma to be combined into something different (like this acute comma: ,́) and not recognized by the parsing code, or worse, misinterpreted by the parsing code.

To be safe, you'd have to either find out that the string starts with a combining character (the only easy way to find out right now seems to be to append the string to something else), or have a sentinel character, neither of which is obvious.

I recognize that this is how things are currently handled anyway ("," + "\u{0301}" gives you an acute comma with Swift 3.0.2), but as this is currently on the table, I figured that I should bring it up. This possibly matters more now that it has been decided that Strings are meant to represent machine-oriented text.

My second concern is with how easy it is to convert an Int to a String index. I've been vocal about this before: I'm concerned that Swift developers will adequate Ints to random-access String iterators, which they are emphatically not. String.Index(100) is proposed as a constant-time operation that *usually* gives you an index to the 100th character of a string, whereas the sanctioned (and *always* correct) way is cumbersome and linear-time. I can easily see people mistake it for a feature and disregard internationalization (or worse: emojis! gasp!) for what they perceive to be a free performance improvement. As a person cursed with an acute accent in my first name, I'm very sensitive to this.

Félix