[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Refactor Metatypes

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Fri Jan 20 16:43:21 CST 2017

> On Jan 20, 2017, at 12:37 PM, Anton Zhilin via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Could someone tell if the proposal fits Phase 1? Seeing SE-0148—which doesn't contain any ABI-breaking changes—being reviewed for Phase 1, I'm not sure about anything.
> The PR should either be labeled "out of scope of current release", or merged. Or maybe it contains some fundamental flaws that even prevent it from review?

SE-0148 fits in phase 1 because it’s in support of Phase 1 goals—specifically, it enables intended ABI-breaking changes in the standard library and is intended to be used as part of the String design.

AFAICT, the Refactoring Metatypes proposal is mostly independent. I view it as something that is important to look at in phase 2 because it is source-breaking, and if we’re going to do it, it should happen in Swift 4 rather than Swift 5.

	- Doug