[swift-evolution] Strings in Swift 4

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Jan 20 10:28:23 CST 2017

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 20, 2017, at 5:48 AM, Jonathan Hull <jhull at gbis.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the hard work!
>
> Still digesting, but I definitely support the goal of string processing even better than Perl.  Some random thoughts:
>
> • I also like the suggestion of implicit conversion from substring slices to strings based on a subtype relationship, since I keep running into that issue when trying to use array slices.

Interesting.  Could you offer some examples?

> It would be nice to be able to specify that conversion behavior with other types that have a similar subtype relationship.

Indeed.

> • One thing that stood out was the interpolation format syntax, which seemed a bit convoluted and difficult to parse:
>> "Something with leading zeroes: \(x.format(fill: zero, width:8))"
>

> Have you considered treating the interpolation parenthesis more like the function call syntax?  It should be a familiar pattern and easily parseable to someone versed in other areas of swift:
>
>   “Something with leading zeroes: \(x, fill: .zero, width: 8)"

Yes, we've considered it

 1. "\(f(expr1, label2: expr2, label3: expr3))"

    String(describing: f(expr1, label2: expr2, label3: expr3))

 2. "\(expr0 + expr1(label2: expr2, label3: expr3))"

    String(describing: expr0 + expr1(label2: expr2, label3: expr3)

 3. "\((expr1, label2: expr2, label3: expr3))"

    String(describing: (expr1, label2: expr2, label3: expr3))

 4. "\(expr1, label2: expr2, label3: expr3)"

    String(describing: expr1, label2: expr2, label3: expr3)

I think I'm primarily concerned with the differences among cases 1, 3,
and 4, which are extremely minor.  3 and 4 differ by just a set of
parentheses, though that might be mitigated by the ${...} suggestion someone else posted.  The point of using string interpolation is to improve
readability, and I fear these cases make too many things look alike that
have very different meanings.  Using a common term like "format" calls
out what is being done.

It's possible to produce terser versions of the syntax that don't suffer
from this problem by using a dedicated operator:

 "Column 1: \(n⛄(radix:16, width:8)) *** \(message)"
 "Something with leading zeroes: \(x⛄(fill: zero, width:8))"

or even

 "Column 1: \(n⛄radix:16⛄width:8) *** \(message)"
 "Something with leading zeroes: \(x⛄fill:zero⛄width:8)"

> I think that should work for the common cases (e.g. padding, truncating, and alignment), with string-returning methods on the type (or even formatting objects ala NSNumberFormatter) being used for more exotic formatting needs (e.g. outputting a number as Hex instead of Decimal)
>
> • Have you considered having an explicit .machine locale which means that the function should treat the string as machine readable? (as opposed to the lack of a locale)

No, we hadn't.  What would be the goal of such a design?

Yes, there are also arguments for encoding "human readable" in the type system.  But as noted in https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/StringManifesto.md#future-directions those ideas are scoped out of Swift 4.