[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0148 Generic Subscripts

Gwendal Roué gwendal.roue at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 05:03:01 CST 2017

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0148-generic-subscripts.md

> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1 Enthousiastic!

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, because library developers are required to declare generic methods, even when a subscript would look and feel more natural at the call site.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, because consistency simplifies the language: there was no good reason for subscripts not te be generic, except implementation details of the Swift compiler.

I'll use the same arguments to support throwing subscripts.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

No, I don't.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I've been waiting this for years, for the SQLite library http://github.com/groue/GRDB.swift

Cheers,
Gwendal