[swift-evolution] Preconditions aborting process in server scenarios [was: Throws? and throws!]

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Jan 16 19:25:29 CST 2017

> On Jan 16, 2017, at 3:57 PM, David Waite via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> My interpretation is that he was advocating a future where a precondition’s failure killed less than the entire process. Instead, shut down some smaller portion like a thread, actor, or container like .Net's app domains (which for those more familiar with Javascript could be loosely compared with Web Workers).
>
> Today - if you wanted a Swift server where overflowing addition didn’t interrupt your service for multiple users, you would need to use something like a pre-fork model (with each request handled by a separate swift process)
>
> That's the difference between CLI and desktop apps where the process is providing services for a single user, and a server where it may be providing a service for thousands or millions of users.

Agreed, I’d also really like to see this some day.  It seems like a natural outgrowth of the concurrency model, if it goes the direction of actors.  If you’re interested, I speculated on this direction in this talk:
http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/files/us-lmandel/lattner.pdf <http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/files/us-lmandel/lattner.pdf>

-Chris