[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Use obtain let instead if let construction

Javier Soto javier.api at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 22:45:19 CST 2017

Based on your examples I think you were thinking about the "guard" keyword,
instead of "if"?

`If let foo = bar else` is not a valid construction. `if let foo = bar { }
else {}` may have been what you meant, but in this case it is clear that
this is just like a regular if, combined with unwrapping an optional.
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 7:12 PM thislooksfun via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> -1 from me, I think that it makes perfect sense the way it is.
>
> More specifically, I read `if let safe = optional` as "if optional can be
> unwrapped into safe, then ..."
> I think `obtain let` is more confusing, as it's not clear that it's a
> conditional from that keyword. Plus to me, "obtain" seems like it would be
> getting something from somewhere else, not always locally, maybe use an
> `unwrap` keyword in there somewhere, if you want it to be very clear what's
> happening?
>
> -thislooksfun (tlf)
>
> On Jan 7, 2017, at 8:46 PM, Carlos García via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Here’s a draft proposal to change *if let* construction for *obtain let*. Proposal is at:
>
> https://github.com/carlosypunto/swift-evolution/blob/obtain-let-instead-if-let/proposals/XXXX-Use-obtain-let-instead-if-let-constructions.md
>
> I would like to see what you think and get help with "*Effect on ABI stability*" and "*Effect on API resilience*" points
>
> Carlos

Javier Soto