[swift-evolution] Proposal: Allows operator overloads in struct or classes based on return type

Tommaso Piazza tommy.piazza at ymail.com
Sun Dec 11 04:30:28 CST 2016

Hello Derrick,
I did not think of this as a bug but rather as an intentional limitation that to me seems a little odd.
Yes, overloads 2,3 have at least ONE operand of type NonEmptyArray so when declared as static function on NonEmptyArray they work fine. However Overload 1 just mentions NonEmptyArray in the return type. I propose that it should also be allowed as a static function on NonEmptyArray.
As for the why it should be allowed my motivation is that all overloads that mention NonEmptyArray in their type signature should be allowed to be declared in the same namespace.Or one could argue that no overloads should be declarable inside NonEmptyArray.
However this comes at a price.
Note that because overload 1 in the current situation must be left out of NonEmptyArray, the accessor modifier for properties and function in NonEmptyArray is fileprivate.With the change I propose this is no longer the case and the modifier is just private.
/Tommaso