[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Generic protocols

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sat Dec 10 05:57:14 CST 2016

I’m fine with adding features step by step. ;)

There is no need for an explicit type alias in your

extension MyStruct : Constructible<String> { … }
Because Value is already constrained by String.

2. Should have it’s own thread because the problem already exists today and is not yet formally solved.

protocol A { var test: Int { get set } }
protocol B { var test: Int { get set } }

struct C : A, B {
    // fine, but maybe there might be two different `test` properties
    var test: Int = 42

    // vs. (if there is that what was intended by `A` and `B`)
    var A.test: Int = 0
    var B.test: Int = 1
}
In my typealias examples I mixed 1. and 4. together.

protocol GenericFoo<T> : Foo where Value == T { /* nothing here */ }

typealias GenericFoo<T> = Foo where Value == T
I see that the latter cannot produce an actual new protocol, because it’s more like a macro and cannot be used multiple times for conformances.

struct D : GenericFoo<Int>, GenericFoo<String> {}

// vs.
struct D : Foo where Value == Int, /* cannot add the second macro for String */ {}
And that is probably why we need real parametrized protocols.

That said, I’m fine starting with 1. and really looking forward to the talk about 4.

Questions about 1.:

Does it affect ABI or is it needed to simplify the stdlib somehow?
Is it something for the current phase?

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail