[swift-evolution] [Idea] Extending syntax for `extension`

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:03:32 CST 2016

One thing to consider:

Access modifier rules for extensions as they were revised in the Swift 3
evolution process only work if extensions are guaranteed not to be nested,
because they assume private in the outer scope is equal to fileprivate in
the inner scope.

(These rules differ from those for types because extensions are not
first-class entities. For a type, members default to internal but
visibility is limited by that of the containing type. For extensions, since
they are not an entity of their own, the modifier in front of the word
"extension" is merely a shorthand for the default access modifier for
members contained within, the visibility of which are limited by that of
the type being extended.)

Furthermore, IIRC, the rules assume that extensions can never extend a
nested private type, since such a type could never be visible to an
unnested extension.

Should nesting of extensions inside types be permitted, it would
necessitate changes to access modifier rules that did not gain consensus
for review in the Swift 3 timeline.