[swift-evolution] [Meta] Let's talk TouchBar + Unicode

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Sat Oct 29 05:10:35 CDT 2016

Eh, I'm all for better emoji support but I think this needs to come in at the OS level.

Part of the problem for emoji is that the macOS special characters menu is so awkward to use; coincidentally I actually posted an enhancement request to the Apple bug reporter only yesterday asking for a more Spotlight-search like special characters selector. i.e- rather than the the awkward, tiny and hard to dismiss window something with immediate searching by relevant tags, either narrowing down for easy selection, or hitting enter for the top result.

In short; I don't think it's a Swift or even Xcode specific issue, and definitely shouldn't be part of auto-complete IMO. The real problem is that the macOS special characters selector is terrible, and has changed very little since OS X first appeared, except to be slightly rebranded for emojis (despite being no easier to use). Most apps that provide their own picker are vastly superior.