[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Refining Identifier and Operator Symbology

Jonathan S. Shapiro jonathan.s.shapiro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:38:44 CDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky via
swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I think it is plainly evident that the well-defined criteria you would
> like to use *have not yet been defined* by Unicode. That is a large part of
> why I recommend that we postpone a major overhaul of our operator
> characters.

That's a feasible way to go, but keep in mind that the UAX31 changes are
being co-designed with and informed by the current discussion. There are a
bunch of things that have come up here that will allow UAX31 to side-step
some "might have happened" mistakes, so this discussion has been very
useful.

The Swift community can and should make its own decision about whether to
remain engaged. The risk of disengagement is that messy compatibility
issues will probably have to be faced later that we can easily head-off now.

Jonathan