[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Non-class type requirements on protocols (eg : struct, : enum)

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri Oct 21 11:01:51 CDT 2016

This is the thread that I mentioned before: Should we rename “class” when referring to protocol conformance?

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 21. Oktober 2016 um 17:12:37, Mike Kasianowicz via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) schrieb:

Just from an outside perspective, the class restriction seems to be there as a kludge for technical reasons... but that's neither here nor there.

It is not so much to enforce a lack of identity - in the struct case, it would be to enforce copy-by-value semantics.  I think the strongest argument I've got is, say, a serialization or caching framework where you want to enforce that something is entirely writeable via memory pointer or copyable.  A value-type restriction would get us mostly there, albeit there would still be ways to break the contract.  However, as noted in my previous email, I see a lot of possibilities for enums too - in that case the protocol somewhat acts as 'base type' without adding the complexity of a base type.

I listed some of my examples in my previous email - I could elaborate if it helps.