[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Refining Identifier and Operator Symbology

Jonathan S. Shapiro jonathan.s.shapiro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 00:36:18 CDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky via
swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Thinking about it further, I am not convinced we need to make *any* change
> to the set of operator characters at this time. It’s not like people are
> clamoring to have Braille variable names after all. And as much as I’d like
> to see the upside-down ampersand (⅋) as an operator, that too can wait.

Unfortunately we *do* need to make changes. At the very least, the current
definition of operators includes completely undefined codepoints. That's
just not OK. There are also *many* elements that are unlikely to be
incorporated in UAX31, and we want to be careful about backwards
compatibility issues and also cross-language interop issues. Including too
much risks incompatibility with future evolutions of UAX31 that other
languages are likely to adopt as a gold standard of interop.

I am hopeful that this proposal will be revised to focus solely on adopting
> UAX-31.

That's definitely the goal, but we don't yet have a draft "operator
identifier" proposal in UAX31 to adopt. I think Xiaodi's goal here was to
arrive at a subset that would be future proof.

I've put in an email to the proposing group, and I expect there will be a
response, but I don't want to speak as if I'm representing the consensus
until I hear back from them. Can I ask everyone to engage patience on this
issue until some time tomorrow?

You are all very definitely being heard!

Jonathan