[swift-evolution] [pitch] make @nonobjc the default

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Wed Oct 19 13:26:25 CDT 2016

> On Oct 19, 2016, at 11:24 AM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:

>>> Oh, I agree that implicit @objc should be removed. I suspect it’s responsible for a nontrivial amount of code bloat and unnecessary Objective-C selector collisions.

>>> I don’t quite view explicit @objc as a cop-out—it’s a useful tool to limit the amount of glue code one needs to write.

>>> I think it’s a Swift language change: we should only infer ‘@objc’ when the API
>>>
>>> 	* Overrides of an @objc API,
>>> 	* Satisfies a requirement of an @objc protocol, or
>>> 	* Uses a Swift feature that requires the Objective-C runtime (e.g., @NSManaged, @IBAction, currently ‘dynamic’ although that feels wrong to me)
>>
>> It might also be nice if referring to a method with #selector automatically tried to make it @objc.
>
> How would this work?  In all other cases it is clear that a method will become @objc at the declaration site.  In this case it would not be.

If we move to this on-demand model for @objc-ness, then it seems to me we can potentially get away from @objc having to be a thing. The constraints on being representable in ObjC can still be enforced by the operation that demands an ObjC method, whether that be an attribute on the declaration itself or an operation that references the declaration.

-Joe