[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Refining Identifier and Operator Symbology

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 07:18:31 CDT 2016

Well, this is a very valuable contribution to the discussion. What
non-ASCII operators are you currently using in Swift code? How did you
decide on those operators instead of ASCII ones? Obviously, we would want
to enable as many operators as possible to continue functioning.

There is, however, a very strong argument for restricting operator
characters to ASCII. I'm going to quote from Erica Sadun, who's put this
much better than I can:

[begin quote]

• Operators suffer from low discoverability and difficult readability. They
use symbols, not names. This places a cognitive cost on users with respect
to both recall ("What is the operator that applies the behavior I need?")
and recognition ("What does the operator in this code do?").
• This cost is obviously highest when symbols are not tied to conventional
standards like `∪` for union and `⊇` for superset. `∪` is a standard,
mathematical representation. It’s widely accepted and widely used. Even so,
 recognizing `formUnion(with:)` may work better for many coders than
recalling what the `∪` (or, worse, `⊇`) operator does, even when you end up
having to create suites of specialized selectors. As operators become more
self-defined or esoteric, costs rise.

[end quote]

As to your specific example, there are indeed good reasons why it is not
unreasonable to jettison support for, say, less-than-or-equal-to. For one,
even if you have a configurable keyboard, every reasonable keyboard that
could have the less-than-or-equal-to symbol will also have < and =, and <=
is the standard operator in Swift for that concept.

As for emoji, their not being included is based on the reasoning that they
are not required to support any real-world language; removal of "moof" is
not a dealbreaker.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 19:09 Benjamin Spratling via swift-evolution <