[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0144: Allow Single Dollar Sign as a Valid Identifier

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Tue Oct 18 01:45:40 CDT 2016

“culturally offensive” is not a logical argument.
A programming language should be logically consistent no matter how many cultures are offended by it.
If Swift is driven by SJW’s then very quickly it will cease to be an effective language.

Having said that, I cannot think of a logical reason not to allow the $ as a variable name.
I also cannot think of a good reason to use a single character variable name. Let alone a symbol. Let even further alone a symbol that is used in many other languages for a specific purpose.

So while Swift may allow the $ sign for logical consistency, using it as a variable name would disqualify the programmer imo.

Rien.