[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Nested types in protocols (and nesting protocols in types)

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Mon Oct 17 13:20:59 CDT 2016

Two weeks ago there was a similar pitch here https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon–20161003/027643.html

In general I’m in favor of this feature, but I don’t know any technical issues this might have or does already have.

As I said in the other thread.

I’m for nested everything.

Nested extensions to reduce noise at some point, BUT this should not remove extension A.B { … } completely.

class A {

    class B { … }

    extension B { … } // extends A.B
}
We already have A.B syntax for extensions, why don’t we allow it for type declarations to reduce nesting (sometimes you don’t want to cluster everything)? Basically something like class A.B { … } would be a shortcut for extension A { class B { … } } and is bounded by the access modifier of A. (This is probably additive.)

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail