[swift-evolution] [pitch] "import" declaration, support for comma-separated modules

Charles Constant charles at charlesism.com
Mon Oct 17 12:14:29 CDT 2016

> Having one import per line is much more readable and maintainable

This depends on how much importance you give to "import" declarations. If
you feel they equally important as the rest of your code, I can understand
why you would want to see them. I don't.

My preference is to see as much of the rest of my code as possible. I don't
spend nearly as much time checking which modules I imported, as I do
editing functions and classes. I'd almost always prefer to have another
three lines of a protocol visible, than three lines of imports. Except that
the imports will be visible anyways, just - and even this is arguable in
many cases - harder to read.

> I never understood the desire for *extreme* vertical conciseness

It's probably *because* I use more vertical space than most people, that
losing screen real-estate to "import" declarations bothers me.