[swift-evolution] private & fileprivate

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Thu Oct 13 16:14:46 CDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016, at 07:42 AM, Anton Zhilin via swift-evolution wrote:
> As far as I can see, almost all people, who talk here, agree that
> private / fileprivate distinction brought more harm than good. Despite
> corresponding proposal being accepted.
> I think, it means that current mailing-list system is failing. Let's
> accept it, gmane looks and feels ugly by comparison to forums. And
> using email limits the number of people involved by an order of
> magnitude.
> What we need is popularization of SE, reaching as many developers as
> we can, using simple voting, likes, and so on.

This is a bad conclusion. Discussions like this naturally attract people
who are unhappy with the status quo. So it's no surprise that you're
seeing a lot of people say they don't like private. Personally, I *love*
having the new private and I use it almost everywhere. It's very rare
for me to write fileprivate and when I do, it's an intentional decision.
And the only reason I even saw this thread is because someone linked it
to me on Slack.

-Kevin Ballard