[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Enums with stored properties

Karl razielim at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 06:37:40 CDT 2016

You can already use structs as raw types. You just have to implement the RawRepresentable conformance yourself.

RawRep doesn’t affect the enum’s storage, and the shorthand syntax we’ve got saying “case a = 42” and so on is just for the compiler to synthesise a couple of switch statements. The only reason the type needs to be a string/integer literal in that case is so that we can check uniqueness and solve the most common case. If you write your own implementation, you can handle the more nuanced stuff there.

I don’t think there are any restrictions at all on RawRepresentable.RawType (not even Comparable). It can be anything you like.

Karl