[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Refactor Metatypes

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri Sep 30 16:31:18 CDT 2016

I replied on your gist directly, but you can also read my reply below.

I though I made it crystal clear in my last post what the main problem is.

Again:

T.Type serves two jobs at once.

It’s a concrete metatype of T.
It’s an existential metatype of T where other metatypes where U is a subtype of T (U : T) are subtypes of this existential metatype.
Forget about protocols for a moment:

struct S { }

let metatype_1: Any.Type = S.self // <~~ (concrete) metatype
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

let metatype_s: S.Type = S.self // <~~ (concrete) metatype
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

/*
   The relationship looks here like this

   (concrete metatype) `T.Type : T.Type` (existential metatype)

   OR for the given example: `S.Type : S.Type : Any.Type` (last one is again an existential metatype)
   This looks confusing right?
*/

class B { }
class D : B { }

let metatype_b: B.Type = B.self // <~~ (concrete) metatype
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

metatype_b is D.Type // false

let metatype_d: D.Type = D.self // <~~ (concrete) metatype
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

let metatype_2: B.Type = metatype_d   // Totally fine
let metatype_3: Any.Type = metatype_2 // Okay

metatype_3 is D.Type // true

/*
   Relationship:

   (existential metatype) `B.Type : Any.Type` (existential metatype)
   (concrete metatype) `B.Type : B.Type` (existential metatype)

   (existential metatype) `D.Type : B.Type` (existential metatype)
   (concrete metatype) `D.Type : D.Type` (existential metatype)
*/
It should be clear by now that there is this odd T.Type : T.Type relationship. We want to correct this behaviour + solve the problem that raises with protocols with one simple and single design.

Let’s see what happens with protocols:

protocol P { }

let metatype_p: P.Type = P.self // Error, because the concrete metatype is not a subtype of the existential metatype of P

// Furthermore `P.self` is `P.Protocol`

let metatype_3: Any.Type = P.self // fine <~~ (concrete) metatype
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

/*
   Relationship:
   (concrete metatype) `P.Protocol : Any.Type` (existential metatype)
   (existential metatype) `P.Type : Any.Type` (existential metatype)

   At this time `P.Type : Any.Type` is an existential metatype that exists but it does not have any subtypes!
*/

struct I : P { }

let metatype_i: I.Type = I.self // <~~ (concrete) metatype
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

let metatype_4: P.Type = metatype_i // fine
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^ existential metatype

metatype_4 is I.Type // true

/*
   Relationship:
   (existential metatype) `P.Type : Any.Type` (existential metatype)
   (existential metatype) `I.Type : P.Type` (existential metatype)
   (concrete metatype) `I.Type : I.Type` (existential metatype)
*/
There is a huge overlap in the current design. I hope this cleared your question here.

Side note: The following function isn’t possible to implement with the current T.Type design because in generic context a protocol will end up T.Protocol.

func dynamic<T>(subtype: Subtype<Any>, `is` _: Type<T>) -> Bool {
  return type is Subtype<T>
}
The proposed design however solves these problems and the relationship becomes clearer:

(existential metatype) `Subtype<B> : Subtype<Any>` (existential metatype)
(concrete metatype) `Type<B> : Subtype<B>` (existential metatype)

(existential metatype) `Subtype<D> : Subtype<B>` (existential metatype)
(concrete metatype) `Type<D> : Subtype<D>` (existential metatype)

(existential metatype) `Subtype<P> : Subtype<Any>` (existential metatype)
(concrete metatype) `Type<P> : Subtype<Any>` (existential metatype)

(existential metatype) `Subtype<P> : Subtype<Any>` (existential metatype)
(existential metatype) `Subtype<I> : Subtype<P>` (existential metatype)
(concrete metatype) `Type<I> : Subtype<I>` (existential metatype)
The only way to work with Subtype<T> is by using subtype(of:) function of by manually shadowing a concrete metatype Type<T>.

The only way to instantiate a concrete metatype is done with T.self.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail