[swift-evolution] [swift-users] [swift-user]Unexpected behavior of protocol extension.

Goffredo Marocchi panajev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 15:10:27 CDT 2016

This would make for hilarious debugging session if you have the misfortune of using a third party binary framework that gets updated and provide default implementations for some methods in the protocol extensions.

When Java 8 also decided to blur the lines between classes (implementations) and interfaces (equivalent of protocols on this side of the fence more or less... anyways they represent behaviours/API contracts), they also provided a very simple rule to determine on the code would behave at runtime.
> Extending Interfaces That Contain Default Methods
>
> When you extend an interface that contains a default method, you can do the following:
>
> Not mention the default method at all, which lets your extended interface inherit the default method.
> Redeclare the default method, which makes it abstract.
> Redefine the default method, which overrides it.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/defaultmethods.html

I am not sure why protocol extension need to differ so much and present dispatch rules that are potentially very confusing.

Casting at runtime should *never* change what implementation of a method gets called.
For a safe by default language the fact that this can occur is quite puzzling and worrying. I am not sure the cost of implementing the current static/dynamic dispatch rules for default methods in protocol extensions is worth it to say it bluntly, but please enlighten me if I am missing an obvious huge pink elephant in the room here.

Sent from my iPhone