[swift-evolution] [swift-users] [swift-user]Unexpected behavior of protocol extension.

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:18:22 CDT 2016

I think there is a deeper issue that may be worth exploring here.

Notably, when one class presents a member function, its subclasses ought to
use “override” when they reimplement that method themselves, regardless of
where the superclass’s version comes from.

In the original post, the class “A” expresses (by conforming to protocol
“Foo”) that it has a member function “bar()”, and “B” is a subclass of “A”
which wants its own definition of “bar()”.

It seems to me that “B” should not care whether “A” rolled its own
implementation of “bar()” or used the default implementation provided by
“Foo”.

>From the perspective of “B”, its superclass “A” promises to have a member
function “bar()”, so “B” should need to use the `override` keyword just
like it would when overriding any other method.

To illustrate this more clearly, suppose that “Foo” and “A: Foo” are
defined in a 3rd-party library, while “B: A” is written in a client module.

If the library changes to give “A” its own custom implementation of
“bar()”, that *should not* affect client code—because the class “A” still
conforms to “Foo” so it still is known to have a “bar()” method—but right
now it *does*:

With the status quo, the simple change of moving a function between a
protocol extension and a conforming class currently requires downstream
source-code modifications in clients (in this case, adding `override` to
“B.bar()”).

I propose that `override` should be required in subclasses on any method
which the superclass proffers as a customization point, no matter the
provenance of that claim.

Nevin