[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Add `Clamp` function to standard library

David Rönnqvist david.ronnqvist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:57:57 CDT 2016

There is already a `clamped` function for clamping one range to another and I feel that this function should be consistent with that one. As I see it, it can either be consistent in that it takes a Range as its argument, or in being an extension to Range. Probably something like either one of these:

extension Comparable { // or something else?
    func clamped(to range: Range<Self>) -> Self
}

extension Range {
    func clamping(_ value: Bound) -> Bound
}

Involving a range is good because that means that ensuring that the bounds checking (lower < upper) is already taken care of.

I do feel that this a useful addition to the standard library. But it is purely additive, so it should wait until after Phase 1.

- David

Sent from my iPad