[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Add `Clamp` function to standard library

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 12:42:20 CDT 2016

Besides my concern that this is not in scope for Swift 4 phase 1, or for
the standard library generally, the function as proposed is unsatisfactory
because the behavior is incorrect when lower > upper.

Either

(a) the parameters should be labeled (and for consistency with ranges,
those labels should be "lowerBound" and "upperBound") and a precondition
should exist before evaluation of the return value, or

(b) this function should take two arguments, one of these being a Range, or

(c) better still--this should be a method on numeric types or on Range. I'm
not convinced that there is a use case for clamping values of any
Comparable type. What does it mean to clamp a String, for example?

Finally, it could possibly be more performant to compute the value using
the comparison operators < and > directly instead of using the functions
max and min. It would be nice to have benchmarks on that.

But I am still not convinced that this function is important enough *and*
susceptible enough to an incorrect implementation that the standard library
should provide its own.