[swift-evolution] [Pre-Proposal-Discussion] Union Type - Swift 4

T.J. Usiyan griotspeak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:11:59 CDT 2016

These are a couple comments from Chris Lattner that come to mind

"FWIW, this has been discussed before on swift-evolution.  Adding them
isn’t out of the question, but it is a lot more complicated than it looks
for the type checker."

"Here is my concern:  Swift enums should be good enough that we don’t need
an Either type.  If defining your own custom enum is hard or bad, then we
should fix that.

There are a number of concepts floating around that would make enums better
in various ways.  One specific one would be to synthesize optional
accessors that line up with enum cases."
-  in "Either in the Swift Standard Library"