[swift-evolution] [Pre-Proposal-Discussion] Union Type - Swift 4

Karl razielim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:06:49 CDT 2016

> On 11 Aug 2016, at 07:18, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 10, 2016, at 8:15 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if the core team feels differently now with respect to Swift 4, but union types are listed as a "commonly rejected change":
>>
>> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/commonly_proposed.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/commonly_proposed.md>
>
> There is no change in opinion here.  This topic is also out of scope for Swift 4 stage 1 in any case.
>
> -Chris

While I appreciate if you don’t want to reply, given the way the tone of this discussion seems to have turned:

The section on this topic in the “commonly-proposed” section could use some elaborating. On the face of it, it seems like a handy feature, and I’m sure many would like to know (now and in the future) why the core-team feels this way. Only then can they properly judge when circumstances may have changed, and if/when to raise the issue again.

Thanks

Karl