[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Sealed classes by default

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Aug 14 11:54:06 CDT 2016

> On Aug 14, 2016, at 5:59 AM, Jean-Denis Muys via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I for one would very much like this discussion to start again.

To set expectations here, we are beyond the end of source breaking changes for Swift 3, so they cannot be changed for Swift 3.  We plan to have ways to take limited source breaking changes in Swift 4, but don't know the scope of them because we haven’t designed the mechanism, and don’t know what scope it will allow.

This is all a way of saying that we *cannot* change this right now, and that discussing it is pointless.

From another perspective, I will point out that this was a carefully considered decision with much active debate, so unless there is *new* information that comes to light, it won’t be reopened.

-Chris