[swift-evolution] ABI in Layman's terms?

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Thu Aug 11 15:48:39 CDT 2016

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 4:27 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I'd also like to understand this more and this answer does not completely satisfy me. I understand backwards compatibility, especially in terms of source breaking changes.
>
> I have more difficulties understanding what breaks or not the ABI and how to make educated guesses about what features will require breaking it

This is hard to explain right now without detailed knowledge of IRGen and SILGen internals. However we are planning on relaxing the restrictions as much as possible, so that source-compatible changes remain binary compatible. For example, we would like to be able to add new fields to structs, change computed properties to stored and vice versa, insert new classes in a hierarchy, add cases to enums, and so on. This falls under the umbrella of "resilience".

Here's a document outlining what will be ABI compatible and what will not -- keep in mind that a good chunk of this is not yet implemented:

https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/LibraryEvolution.rst