[swift-evolution] What're the Swift team's thoughts on Go's concurrency?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Aug 11 00:24:19 CDT 2016

> On Aug 9, 2016, at 12:04 PM, Dan Stenmark via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I'd like to inquire as to what the Swift team thoughts on Go's concurrency model are?  I'm not referring to convenience of the 'go' keyword and nor am I referring to how the language handles Channels, both of which being what most folks associate with it.  Rather, I'd like to ask about the language's use of Green Threads and how the runtime handles the heavy lifting of multiplexing and scheduling them.  What are some of the strengths and weaknesses the Swift team sees to Go's approach?

Hi Dan,

There are many folks interested in concurrency topics related to this, but we need to stay focused on finishing Swift 3 and then moving on to Swift 4 stage 1 goals.  As that work is cresting, we’ll start discussions of concurrency, and may even be so bold as to start a new mailing list dedicated to the topic, since it is such a wide reaching topic.

Until we get to that point, please resist the urge to jump ahead :-)

-Chris