[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0136: Memory Layout of Values

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Mon Aug 8 12:16:46 CDT 2016

on Mon Aug 08 2016, Anton Zhilin <antonyzhilin-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I prefer old 'size(of:)' and 'size(ofValue:)' to new
> 'MemoryLayout'.
> I actually voted against that proposal. Without it, we wouldn't have
> problems we have now.

We'd have different problems:
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0101-standardizing-sizeof-naming.md#motivation

The “problems we have now” come from over-eager removal of
functionality; they have nothing to do with whether the syntax uses free
functions or static methods/properties.

> But it's obvious now that it's just a formality to complete the
> transition.  Sadly.

I'm very sorry that you're disappointed in the result, but there *was* a
review; your preferences might have had an impact, had they been aired
there.

--
-Dave