[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Breaking precedence

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:49:07 CDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Félix Cloutier <felixcca at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I don't think that "intuitive" or "non-intuitive" is what you'd be looking
> for. There is nothing intuitive about multiplications having a higher
> precedence than additions; it's just a matter of conventions. I'm not a
> maths expert (as Stephen showed, I didn't even give the right explanation
> to binary operators!), but it seems to me that there could well be a
> parallel universe in which additions have precedence over multiplications
> without other serious implications.
>
> And as it happens, a majority of people don't know that there is one for
> binary operators. I believe that the right question should be: do we want
> to pretend that this convention doesn't exist, to the benefit of people who
> don't know about it, and the detriment of those who do? Also, do we want to
> break it for && and || too?
>
> I think that the biggest use case for binary operators in other languages
> are flags, and in Swift we treat these as collections. I'd venture that &,
> | and ^ would show up about as frequently as UnsafePointers and the like.
> It seems to me that Swift's approach has been to make things easy by
> default without locking away the power tools, and my personal expectation
> is that if you have to write code that has binary operators despite
> everything else that Swift has for you, you can be bothered to learn a
> precedence rule.
>
> That said, one thing that I could definitely get behind is breaking
> precedence between binary operators and arithmetic operators. I don't think
> that it makes sense to write something like "a & b / c". Looking at my
> code, the only place where I needed to mix binary operators and arithmetic
> operators were `a & (a - 1)` (results in 0 if a is a power of two), and
> that one needs parentheses anyway.

Although here, your same argument applies. If you need to write `a & b /
c`, then you can be bothered either to learn or look up a table, or you can
just put in the parenthesis yourself. Likewise, if you're a reader of the
code, it's highly likely that this is a complex formula anyway; you can
either know the relative precedence or look it up, but that's the *least*
of your worries in terms of what it will take to understand that code. I
see no reason to force parentheses unless it actually prevents user error.