[swift-evolution] Multi dimensional - iterator, Iterator2D, Iterator3D

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 08:12:22 CDT 2016

> On 31.07.2016, at 07:07, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 30, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Ted F.A. van Gaalen <tedvgiosdev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> thanks for the tip about Hirundo app!
>>
>> A positive side-effect of removing the classical for;; loop
>> (yes, it’s me saying this :o)  is that it forces me to find
>> a good and generic equivalent for it,
>> making the conversion of my for;;s to 3.0 easier.
>> which is *not* based on collections or sequences and
>> does not rely on deeper calls to Sequence etc.
>
> Hi Ted,
>
> I know that you’re very passionate about the removal of C style for loops,

Hi Chris,

I am trying to channel my sometimes chaotic energy into positive things,
which means I should not have only criticism, but try
to find positive alternatives and suggestions for the things
that I don’t like.

> but any direction to add back features to compensate for them will need to wait until Stage 2 of Swift 4’s planning cycle.
Yes, of course, I understand that. Forgot to mention that.
It is more intended as to viewing aspects of iteration in general.

The code example was initially intended as a convenience “workaround”
(usable without any alterations in Swift 2.x and higher)
for those of us who are using the for;; frequently,

However, I for me find it now even better then just a workaround
especially for 2 and 3D iterations.

So it could be that I won’t miss the for;; that much as I thought.
as the power and  flexibility of Swift mostly allows us to add
own extensions as alternative solutions when desired
and that is very cool!

Kind Regards
TedvG

(Note that that my biggest challenge in life is to coordinate
the chaos that always storms in my mind due to heavy
ADHD aspects (which also have advantages)
and to communicate with “other lifeforms”
like human beings because of that.)