[swift-evolution] [Swift4] Priorities and Sugar

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Jul 30 12:44:35 CDT 2016

> On Jul 30, 2016, at 1:42 AM, Ian Partridge <ian at poncho.org.uk> wrote:
>
> On 30 July 2016 at 02:33, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>> I’m personally convinced that we don’t get to great string processing without regular expressions (as one
>> example), but they are clearly out of scope for Stage 1.
>
> Foundation already has NSRegularExpression. Do you mean that the
> stdlib could potentially duplicate Foundation functionality? If so,
> what are the implications for Foundation (and
> swift-corelibs-foundation)? Does this also mean that other "stringy"
> functionality could arrive in the stdlib, for example a Swifty JSON
> serializer/deserializer?

As others have mentioned, the interesting thing in this space is language support for regex literals.  They should tie into the pattern matching constructs in the language (e.g. switch, if case, etc).

Better support for JSON is also interesting and possible over the next year, but it would be the domain of the corelibs folks.  I believe they have some ideas in this space, but probably aren’t ready to dive into it given that Swift 3 isn’t done, and I’m not sure if there are any “plans”.

-Chris