[swift-evolution] End of source-breaking changes for Swift 3

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:48:57 CDT 2016

Hi Taras,

There’s more than enough evidence in the whole programming world
to justify the existence of the classical for loop, also in Swift!
Not only in “old” languages, for instance, take a look in Go.
Excellent implementation there of the for;;

https://tour.golang.org/flowcontrol/1 <https://tour.golang.org/flowcontrol/1>

Btw, to me, It’s not a matter of “defeat” or “winning”.

I am not the only person preferring the for;; to stay.

I’ve also written about other things, like comma less parameter list etc.

But I will not continue this discussion right now and wait til August.

Kind Regards
TedvG

> On 29.07.2016, at 00:30, Taras Zakharko <taras.zakharko at uzh.ch> wrote:
>

>> On 29 Jul 2016, at 00:21, Saagar Jha via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> The reason C-style for loops were removed were because most of the time they could be represented by Swift syntax. Have you taken a look at stride(from:to:by:)?
Yes I did.

> A minor correction: it should be ‚all of the time‘ :) Iterator-based loops are a strict superset of the for(;;) loop.
No. the for;; is much more versatile and easier to use, but I’v already wrote much about this.

> Anyway, we have discussed this extensively in the past, Ted is the only person who’s still keeps stubbornly hacking on this topic and so far he has failed to produce any convincing evidence in favour of the for(;;) loop.
Please read it again.