[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0126: Refactor Metatypes, repurpose T.self and Mirror

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Thu Jul 21 15:42:14 CDT 2016

Here is the new revised draft: https://gist.github.com/DevAndArtist/f7da7d7338eedb40adb9c5631a34aee1

We’d like to hear your feedback before we submit this revision. It’s unusual for such a quick revision, but it’s clearly was asked by Joe Groff and the feedback from the community.

Introduction

This proposal renames the current metatype T.Type notation and the global function from SE–0096 to match the changes.

Swift-evolution threads:

[Review] SE–0126: Refactor Metatypes, repurpose T[dot]self and Mirror
[Proposal] Refactor Metatypes, repurpose T[dot]self and Mirror
[Discussion] Seal T.Type into Type<T>
Motivation

In Swift metatypes have the following notation: T.Type

As already showed in SE–0096 and SE–0090 the Swift community strongly is in favor of (re)moving magical intstance or type properties.

SE–0096 moves instanceOfT.dynamicType to type<T>(of: T) -> T.Type.

SE–0090 aims to remove .self completely.

We propose to rename T.Type to a generic-like notation Metatype<T>. To be able to achieve this notation we have to resolve a few issues first.

Known issues of metatypes:

Assume this function that checks if an Int type conforms to a specific protocol. This check uses current model of metatypes combined in a generic context:

func intConforms<T>(to _: T.Type) -> Bool {
   return Int.self is T.Type
}

intConforms(to: CustomStringConvertible.self) //=> false

Int.self is CustomStringConvertible.Type      //=> true
[1] When T is a protocol P, T.Type is the metatype of the protocol type itself, P.Protocol. Int.self is not P.self.

[2] There isn’t a way to generically expression P.Type yet.

[3] The syntax would have to be changed in the compiler to get something that behaves like .Type today.

Written by Joe Groff: [1] [2] [3]
A possible workaround might look like the example below, but does not allow to decompose P.Type:

func intConforms<T>(to _: T.Type) -> Bool {
  return Int.self is T
}

intConforms(to: CustomStringConvertible.Type.self) //=> true
We can extend this issue and find the second problem by checking against the metatype of Any:

func intConforms<T>(to _: T.Type) -> Bool {
    return Int.self is T
}

intConforms(to: Any.Type.self) //=> true

intConforms(to: Any.self)      //=> true

Int.self is Any.Type           //=> Always true
When using Any the compiler does not require .Type at all and returns true for both variations.

The third issue will show itself whenever we would try to check protocol relationship with another protocol. Currently there is no way (that we know of) to solve this problem:

protocol P {}
protocol R : P {}

func rIsSubtype<T>(of _: T.Type) -> Bool {
    return R.self is T
}

rIsSubtype(of: P.Type.self) //=> false

R.self is Any.Type //=> Always true
R.self is P.Type   //=> true
R.self is R.Type   //=> true
We also believe that this issue is the reason why the current global functions sizeof, strideof and alignof make use of generic <T>(_: T.Type) declaration notation instead of (_: Any.Type).

Proposed solution

Rename any occurrence of T.Type and T.Protocol to Metatype<T>.

Revise metatypes internally.

When T is a protocol, T.self should always return an instance of Metatype<T> (old T.Type) and never a T.Protocol. Furthermore, metatypes should reflect the same type relationship behavior like the actual types themselves.

To match the correct meaning and usage of the noun ‘Metatype’ from this proposal, we also propose to rename the global function from SE–0096:

before: public func type<T>(of instance: T) -> T.Type
after: public func metatype<T>(of instance: T) -> Metatype<T>
Examples:

protocol P {}
protocol R : P {}
class A : P {}
class B : A, R {}

func `is`<T>(metatype: Metatype<Any>, also _: Metatype<T> ) -> Bool {
    return metatype is Metatype<T>
}

`is`(metatype: R.self, also: Any.self) //=> true | Currently: false
`is`(metatype: R.self, also: P.self)   //=> true | Currently: false
`is`(metatype: R.self, also: R.self)   //=> true

`is`(metatype: B.self, also: Any.self) //=> true | Currently: false
`is`(metatype: B.self, also: P.self)   //=> true | Currently: false
`is`(metatype: B.self, also: R.self)   //=> true | Currently: false
`is`(metatype: B.self, also: A.self)   //=> true
`is`(metatype: B.self, also: B.self)   //=> true

func cast<T>(metatype: Metatype<Any>, to _: Metatype<T>) -> Metatype<T>? {
    return metatype as? Metatype<T>
}

cast(metatype: R.self, to: Any.self)     //=> an Optional<Metatype<Any>> | Currently: nil
cast(metatype: R.self, to: P.self)       //=> an Optional<Metatype<P>>   | Currently: nil
cast(metatype: R.self, to: R.self)       //=> an Optional<Metatype<R>>   | Currently: an Optional<R.Protocol>

let anyR: Any.Type = R.self
let r = cast(metatype: anyR, to: R.self) //=> an Optional<Metatype<R>>   | Currently: an Optional<R.Protocol>

cast(metatype: B.self, to: Any.self)     //=> an Optional<Metatype<Any>> | Currently: nil
cast(metatype: B.self, to: P.self)       //=> an Optional<Metatype<P>>   | Currently: nil
cast(metatype: B.self, to: R.self)       //=> an Optional<Metatype<R>>   | Currently: nil
cast(metatype: B.self, to: A.self)       //=> an Optional<Metatype<A>>
cast(metatype: B.self, to: B.self)       //=> an Optional<Metatype<B>>

let pB: P.Type = B.self
let b = cast(metatype: pB, to: B.self)   //=> an Optional<Metatype<B>>
Impact on existing code

This is a source-breaking change that can be automated by a migrator. Any occurrence of T.Type or T.Protocol will be simply renamed to Metatype<T>.

Alternatives considered

Alternatively it’s reasonable to consider to rename T.self to T.metatype.
It was considered to reserve Type<T> for different usage in the future.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail