[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0126: Refactor Metatypes, repurpose T.self and Mirror

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Thu Jul 21 10:53:12 CDT 2016

Before passing judgment on any particular ideas, I want to say that this proposal is huge, and I see no realistic way we can evaluate and implement this in the remaining week for source-breaking changes to Swift 3. I would recommend:

- Breaking it up into smaller proposals. There are quite a few orthogonal points that deserve independent evaluation, including:
	- Renaming T.Type and T.Protocol to Type<T>, or something similar
	- Splitting the responsibility of metatypes into two separate concepts
	- Folding MemoryLayout into one of those concepts
	- Renaming Mirror

- Since it's unlikely we can take this for Swift 3, sketching out a migration plan to bring the functionality to a future version of Swift. We will need a deprecation period where both the old and new functionality are supported. We will also need to ensure the implementation and runtime can remain compatible with deployed binaries using the Swift 3 behavior.

The latter point should probably be a requirement for all proposals going forward.

-Joe