[swift-evolution] [Review #3] SE-0117: Allow distinguishing between public access and public overridability

Leonardo Pessoa me at lmpessoa.com
Thu Jul 21 14:04:48 CDT 2016

On 21 July 2016 at 12:33, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution
<swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The third review of "SE-0117: Allow distinguishing between public access and public overridability" begins now and runs through July 25. The proposal is available here:
>
>         https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0117-non-public-subclassable-by-default.md
>
>         * What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I like the design with open and have no issues with it implicitly
meaning public. After a little confabulation I also believe the
original intent can be achieved by allowing subclassing to be open and
method overriding to be sealed by default, thus providing ground for
composition with no replacing of behaviour as exemplified in the
proposal, so I have no issues with it as long as methods are sealed by
default.

As for the openness of overriden methods, I still believe there should
be a way other than final to reseal the method. Sure there are means
to implement the same without it but not as elegantly IMO.

>         * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes.

>         * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

>         * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

No.

>         * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I've read the proposal and discussed the issue a lot on the threads.